Thursday, March 1, 2012

Gems from the library

Believe it or not but I don't own a single knitting book. And I have an extensive book collection. Every time I flip through a knitting book at the book store it seems like at least a third of it is about how to knit and purl and how many different types of yarn and needles there is. I don't need to pay for stuff I already know. So enter the local library. Their book selection is really underestimated. I picked up several different yarn craft books today, and since I only borrow them, I don't have to feel bad if I don't make a single project from them.  Here are two of them;

Knitting never felt better by Nicky Epstein. I love the touch of felt and would love to felt more. I used to make little hats for Isola when she was newborn but I stopped when I got tired of the unpredictability of the process. (What, swatches? What's that?) This book shows many different ideas and inspired me to felt again. Almost.

Beyond the Square: Crochet motifs by Edie Eckman. I suck at crochet. Not that there is anything wrong with the outcome (mostly) but it seems impossible for me to learn the terminology, let alone learn to read a chart. I constantly need to check the instructions again and again, sometimes even to differ a single crochet from a double crochet! It's really all gallimatias for me. But it's fun and I LOVED all the squares in this book, would love to make a multicoloured baby blanket of them. But the thought of  weaving in all the loose ends freaks me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...